Every day we wake up, after a good nights sleep but still saying “i need more sleep”, which got us thinking about how much sleep you really need? The term ‘beauty- sleep’ is true – the more you sleep the better you will feel and look. Most studies indicate we should sleep between 7-8 hours each night and if we can’t get through the day without feeling fatigued or sleepy, basically, more sleep is required.
Sleep is essential for your health as if refreshes the mind and repairs the body. Without enough sleep it’s easy to have poor concentration, mood swings, impaired judgement and reaction time and poor physical coordination – so make sure you get enough sleep!
Interesting facts about sleep
- Humans spend a third of their life sleeping (= about 25 years)
- The record for longest time without sleep is 11 days
- “Dysania” is the state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning
- Lack of sleep makes you want to eat junk food
- If it takes less than five minutes to go to sleep you’re sleep deprived – ideally it should take 10-15 minutes
- Your body clock is cause by a burst of a stress hormone – researchers say it reflects an unconscious anticipation of the stress of waking up.
- There is an app you can download that will pick up whether you talk or snore once the lights go out. It’s called “Dream Talk”