Finding delicious gluten free and vegan food when you’re out is a rarity, so when we find a great place we sort of become obsessed. Our latest weekly indulgence is Botanica in Red Hill, Brisbane. They have an ever changing menu of take away salads all of which are free from animal protein, include only the freshest ingredients and are ALL delicious. One of our favourites is the cumin roasted carrot with quinoa and a creamy hummus dressing so we’ve tried our best to replicate it to have at home.
1 cup quinoa, cooked
4 carrots, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 cup hummus, store bought
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Toss the carrots with olive oil and the cumin and roast until cooked and golden brown.
2. Add the quinoa to a saucepan with 2 cups of water, bring to the boil, stir and put the lid on. Allow to cook for 15 minutes on a very low heat.
3. To make the dressing, add the hummus, olive oil, lemon and salt and pepper into a bowl and stir to combine.
3. Place the quinoa on a flat serving plate. Sprinkle the cooked carrot on top and then the parsley. (We also added a few raisins at the last moment to add a bit of sweetness).
4. Drizzle over the dressing and toss to combine.
5. Serve up as a main meal or as a side to a piece of fish or meat.
Note: Botanica also has the most AMAZING sweet treats, so be sure to stop by there and pick up a gluten free cupcake or donut or a vegan caramel brownie. Yummm!