Entertaining doesn’t have to be difficult, especially when it comes to dessert. We’ve taken the most simple chocolate cake recipe, split the bases between tins and made it look fancy by having two layers. But trust us, there is nothing fancy about this cake. It’s so simple and delicious, your friends will be begging you for the recipe (our’s were)!
Cake Base –
2 cups raw sugar
1 3/4 cups plain flour
3/4 cup cocoa, good quality
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 long black espresso, topped with boiling water to make 1 cup
150g dark chocolate (we like Cadbury)
285g salted butter
2 1/4 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg yolk
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Using electric beaters, mix together all base ingredients except the espresso.
3. Gradually add the espresso mix and beat until smooth. The mixture will be runny (don’t worry).
4. Pour cake batter into 2 lined round cake tins.
5. Bake for around 30 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool on wire rack.
7. For the icing, melt chocolate and allow to cool slightly.
8. Cream the butter, icing sugar and vanilla together with electric beaters.
9. Add egg yolk and melted chocolate and beat until fluffy.
10. Layer the cakes with icing in-between layers, on top and around the edges.
11. Serve with a dollop of fresh cream if desired.